Within the Vampyre community there is a system of paths within paths.
In the House Kheperu of Michelle Belanger they are referred to as Castes.
In Temple House Shajaza of Goddess Rosemary they are referred to as Roads.
In the Order of the Strigoi Vii of Father Todd Sebastiaan they are referred to as Currents.
[This caste system is an out dated idea that has been widely discarded within the greater community, but some organizations like that of the Ordo Strigoi Vii still hold onto these ideas of caste hierarchy or Roles.]
(I think that Temple House Shajaza has the BEST description of the 3 Paths out of the bunch, so I will share this version from Goddess Rosemary’s Book of Secrets.)
KITRA: (Councilor) The Divine Feminine Spirit and energy cycler/mother/ councilor. Kitra’s role is to supply and channel energy in ritual.
MRADU: (Warrior/Knight) The Sacred Warrior Protector, champion of the house who grounds energy in ritual.
RAMKHT: (Priest/Magician) Visionary, Diviner, Seer, who creates the space/purpose and directs the energy in ritual.
ROLES OF THE 3 PATHS:
Kitra, Mradu, and Ramkht have many roles. The following is a framework description of each of these paths within the Nightside Vampyre tradition, provided by Goddess Rosemary, Matriarch of the Temple House Shajaza founded in 1976.
KITRA’S ROLES AND OBJECTIVES
1. COUNSELOR: Develop a level of empathy that allows you to determine the feelings and intentions of others. This allows you to provide wise counsel, recognize threats, target energy leaks and detect dishonesty.
2. HEALER: Learn some key aspects of the healing arts. The goal here is to allow you to be able to soothe and comfort. Healing may come through spiritual or magickal means, but may just as likely come from herbs, and homeopathy, reiki, massage, chakra work and so forth.
3. RAISE ENERGY: You will need to learn how to raise the energy levels in groups and individuals including yourself. This may be for the purpose of ritual, healing, protection, or divination. Music, Dance, Stand-up Comedy, sexuality, sensuality, scents, dress, patterns and rhythms of speech can all effect energy levels. (It sounds like she’s describing the Art of Glamour.)
4. CONDITIONING AND REDIRECTING ENERGY: Once you’ve raised energy you have to be able to get it from where it is to where you need it to be. You also need to be able to condition that energy to your purpose. For example if there is abut to be a fight, energy is high and you need to diffuse the situation. Being able to pull the anger out of the situation, cool it off, and send it back… is a great skill for demonstration.
5. SHIELD YOURSELF AND THOSE AROUND YOU: This is particularly useful in nightclubs or in areas of heavy vampyre or spiritual activity. This requires a large amount of energy. Occasionally someone will try to actively attack you or your group. You’ll need to know how to protect and deflect.
6. BECOME A BEACON: This will sound counter to the one above, but you may also from time to time need to be “findable.” If you’re lost or if you want to be approached by people, an example of this would be when my partner and I would travel we would go to clubs and I would allow myself to be found so that we could meet others like us. (Vampyres recognize Vampyres.)
7. NURTURER, DEN MOTHER, HUG GIVER, AND THE PERSON WHO REMEMBERS OTHERS BIRTHDAYS: In most groups of any size it always seems to be Kitra who handles all of the warm and fuzzy stuff. It’s not a requirement, but it usually seems to work that way. (Kill them with kindness.)
MRADU’S ROLES AND OBJECTIVES:
1. PROTECTOR: Often imposing in stature and nearly always in temperament, Mradu are the protectors of the community. They protect the bodies, minds, and spirits of the group. Typical assignments might include restricting entry, escorting key members, guarding equipment and removing troublesome influences. This Protection also includes psychic and astral protection. Like Kitra, Mradu are usually alert to danger and issues that Ramkht may not see. Ideally, Mradu have developed skills of shielding, deflection, and astral warfare.
2. ARMOR BEARER: Often a special relationship develops between a particular Ramkht and Mradu. Although this may not be a romantic pair bond, more likely it is a platonic mutual admiration and respect . A symbiosis forms in which the Mradu can be guided by the vision of the Ramkht, and the Ramkht can focus on the “Big Picture” knowing that they are physically and psychically protected by Mradu.
3. ENFORCER: Occasionally, circumstances require Mradu to enforce the will of the Priestess or the community. An example of this might be an attempt by one deemed sine nomine to enter a restricted gathering. In this instance, Mradu who have been assigned to enforce the edict may be required to escort the person from the premises. (“Sin Nomine” means Vampyre Excommunication. Exiled and stripped of all titles and notoriety.)
4. HERALD: Mradu brings news to Ramkht and often carry messages from the Ramkht out to the community. Mradu may report sissention, confusion, or excitement. They may communicate news likea change in the schedule of a planned event, reminders, or important dates.
5. WATCHTOWER: In ritual Mradu usually clears the space and erect the “walls” of the temple space. In some traditions Mradu stand as watchtowers during ritual to maintain the sanctity of the space and ensure the safety of all participants. Mradu often seem to have stringing grounding capabilities and may receive excess energy and ground it after ritual completion if needed.
6. NOBLE KNIGHT: Noble Knight is the warrior spirit ready to be awakened in times of strife or to stand guard of the sacred. It is the warrior archetype of history folklore, found in recorded history and archaeology. Mythological and real they train in both dance and karate or other skilled arts like fencing or other foot or eye training. They are quick and alert.
RAMKHT’S ROLES AND OBJECTIVES:
1. VISIONARY: Ramkht see things not as they are now but as they could and should be. They have an ideal picture of how an idea plan or project will turn out in the end. They can be so ocused on their vision that sometimes they don’t see things close to them clearly. This tunnel vision can be dangerous if there are not others around to assess and guide them back to here and now.
2. LEADERSHIP: Many on this path are spiritual leaders. They are able to channel information to others and support their vision. They have extensive knowledge and experience in dealing with people. Many are engaged in leadership roles in daysidelife as well. They should also be an example to others of the highest and best way to behave in any situation. Caution must be taken to avoid appearing insensitive to people or issues outside of the direct path from present to vision.
3. LEAD RITUAL: In context of ritual, the Ramkht typically plan rituals and organizes people places and things so that rituals move smoothly. During the ritual, they will receive the energy raised and filtered by Kitra for purposes of doing the work of ritual
4. JUDGE: Wherever there are people, there will be conflict. Often the wisdom and coolness of the Ramkht can help resolve these conflicts.
5. ADMINISTRATOR: In a group of any size, grimoire, journals, scrolls, financial documents and other practical matters will need to be addressed. Often, the Ramkht take on this responsibility as an extension of the leadership function.